Check out this game if: you do or do not like candy crush type games (it’s different, promise).
This game stands out because: the game concept is simple, but the tactics can be involved. Also, because everyone is playing with the same “board” it’s engaging.
1. The concept of the game is easy to teach.
2. Luck accounts for a portion of who wins (just enough).
3. Chain reactions are fun to watch (especially when it’s your turn).
4. The variety of potions adds replayability.
5. The potions add some tactics to the game play.
6. Due to the hidden marbles, there are surprise moments.
1. All the additional actions (potions) can get a bit finicky.
2. Hard to catch a leader, if they get a couple lucky turns at the beginning of the game.
On your turn, you can take a marble from the slanted playing board. Taking a marble will cause others to fall, if the falling marbles match color, you can take them too (see, just like candy crush).
Collect marbles to complete potions. Potions earn you points and give you special abilities.
There is only one version of this game, but there is an expansion (which adds a “joker” to the ingredients).
Like most games, but more importantly for this game, show and tell.
Show how the marbles move when you remove one. Let players try it if they want. Next, go over each of the potions and their special abilities (I know this may take a while, but it’s important from the very start of the game).
|Number of Players||2-4|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★★★★|
Link to tutorial video on YouTube.
Link to Potion Explosion on Amazon.