Check out this game if: you enjoy games with a little deceit and some clever interaction.
This game stands out because: players can win by lying or telling the truth, but they will likely never win the same way twice (and games are quick enough to play a few rounds in half an hour).
1. Very high player interaction.
2. Games are over quick enough that players rarely feel cheated for going out on the first round.
3. The unique player powers work well together (game seems “balanced”).
4. It’s fun to “read” your opponents, and more fun to try to bluff other.
5. This game supplies plenty of AHHH! (surprise) moments.
6. If you love this game, there are plenty of alternate character cards to test out.
1. Players can be eliminated very quickly (left to watch everyone else play).
2. Some players do not like to lie.
This is a last player standing type of game -the last player that is still alive, wins.
To become the last player standing, you can either try to eliminate other players, or lay low and let others destroy each other. You eliminate other players by paying seven tokens to take them out, or by calling their bluff.
On a players turn, they can either take one token from the center of the table or claim a special ability. These special abilities are available to those who have the corresponding card, but you can lie about what card you have and take the special ability (which opens you up to getting called out and eliminated from the game).
There are a few expansions for this game, but none really change the game -to me. You can hunt down and find unique character cards, but in the end this game is all about bluffing and you don’t need more cards to do that.
Deal cards just like you would for a real game, but reassure the players that this is only for learning purposes. Next, explain what you can do on a turn (including all the special player powers (which should be on a cheat sheet next to each player).
|Number of Players||3-6|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★☆☆☆|
Link to tutorial Video on YouTube.
Link to Coup on Amazon