Check out this game if: you like pressing your luck (or watching others fail).
This game stands out because: There are similar press-your-luck games, but the unique player powers, card effects, and variants make this game unique in an already popular genre.
1. This game has press-your-luck excitement.
2. The extra actions on each card add a level of excitement.
3. The extra actions on each card enhance the player interaction.
4. The unique player powers give each player a unique strategy.
5. Games are quick so it can be a filler game, or play best of 3.
6. Simple to teach (I think younger kids would understand the game, but may not like the “take-that” aspect of some cards).
1. I would like to play with more people -feels like it should.
2. Some of the unique character cards are very powerful (it may seen unfair to some).
In this game, you are trying to collect cards. On your turn, you draw a card from the draw pile and perform the action associated with that card’s suit. If you wish to continue drawing cards, you may do so when your previous card’s action is done. If you draw two cards of the same suit, you loose all the cards you had drawn (with some exceptions).
At the end of the game, the player with the highest score (sum of all the highest card values of each suit) wins.
There is only one version of this game, but it comes with variants in the box. Similar games include Incan Gold, Cant Stop, Deep Sea Adventure, Celestia, and Zombie Dice.
Start simple and start with the end. Let players know that they want to collect cards. Next explain that they collect cards by drawing from the draw deck and stopping before suit duplicates appear.
Once everyone has the basic idea down, explain what all the different suits do and what the different character cards do (only explain the character cards in play). Lastly, clarify that the number of cards you collect do not matter as much as high cards in each suit.
|Number of Players||2-4|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★★★☆|
Link to Tutorial on YouTube.
Link to Dead Man’s Draw on Amazon