Check out this game if: you’re looking for a unique two player game that is full of tension.
This game stands out because: The game is clever and there are multiple paths to victory. Unlike it’s bigger brother, 7 Wonders Duel can be won by focusing exclusively on science, war, or points.
1. The multiple paths to victory give this game a fresh feel.
2. The partial open drafting gives this game tension.
3. The unique paths to victory seem well rounded.
4. The unique layout of cards gives each game a unique feel (replayability).
5. The random science bonuses gives the game even more replayability
6. Easy to learn if you know 7 Wonders.
1. Lots of tension makes this an aggressive game -which some people do not like.
2. Only two players makes this hard to play with a family (or large group of friends.
This is an engine building game. You collect cards that will help you collect more cards that will help you collect even more cards and eventually win the game. You get to pick your card from the same pile as your opponent, but that pile can change slightly as the round progresses.
On you turn, you pick a card. If you can afford it, you add it to your tableau. If you cannot, you discard it and take a little money from the bank (which will help you buy more cards in the future). If a card is in your tableau, you get a benefit from it. This benefit is often to get more cards, hurt your opponent, or to give you points. After going through three rounds/piles of cards, the game ends and the player with the most points wins.
|Number of Players||2|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★★☆☆|
There is only one version of this game, but there is an expansion called Pantheon. I reviewed the original game here.
Similar to 7 Wonders, explain to the player you are teaching this to that it will take a while to understand (unless they have played 7 wonders).
First explain how the cards work and how collecting them is beneficial. This is essential because this is also where you should explain the different ways to win. Next explain how the unique drafting works and how you only have three rounds to acquire cards.
Link to Video Youtube.
Link to 7 Wonders Duel on Amazon