Check out this game if: you or your family/friends like scrabble (or banana grams) and want to switch things up a bit (also much better than the previously mentioned if you don’t like word games as much).
This game stands out because: it takes the classic game idea of spelling and throws a monkey wrench into the mix.
1. More accessible than other spelling games (because of the party tiles).
2. The party tiles add laughs and a silly element to the game
3. Games play quickly (especially if my sister-in-law is playing).
4. Plays with large groups well -game time is actually shorter with more people.
1. It’s a spelling game -and some people just can’t be convinced to play them.
2. The party tiles can make teaching this game a little bit harder, but if you already know bananagrams the addition is easy to understand.
Every player starts with the same number of letter tiles, face down. At the same time, all players turn their tiles over and start spelling words with their tiles. Once one player uses all their tiles, everyone grabs new tiles. First player to use all their tiles when there are no more to grab, wins! Same as normal bananagrams, but when you grab a new tile, it may have a fun activity to do in addition to spelling.
|Number of Players||1-8|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★★★★|
This is a variation of the original game Bananagrams, of which there are three others (Double Bananagrams, Bananagrams WildTiles, and My First Bananagrams).
I would first teach, or make sure everyone knows how to play, bananagrams. Bananagrams is easy to teach, it’s like solitary scrabble without a board, no points, and you can rearrange your own tiles. The goal is to be the first player to use all their tiles (some details are outlined better in the instructions).
Very first, let everyone grab their starting facedown letter tiles (you may think this is distracting, but they want to grab and play with them anyway), explain the party tiles. This is easy if you just go though each one before you add them to the other face down tiles.
Link to Video Tutorial.