Check out this game if: you’re looking for a quick 2 to 4 player game that offers a little bit of strategy and a lot of interaction with other players.
This game stands out because: as the game progresses and you start to lose options, you quickly become a master of 3, 4, and 5 block spaces. It’s really fun to sneak in a perfectly shaped piece, even if it hurts your score in the end.
1. The tactile aspect of this game will appeal to some people who otherwise don’t like board games.
2. Plays well with younger players (although adults will have a clear advantage at the end of the game).
3. This game is easy to teach and quick to play.
4. One of very few games that play well outside.
5. Teaches spatial recognition and foresight.
1. There is player elimination.
2. Game has conflict (players try to stop other players from placing more pieces).
3. Really only plays well with 2 or 4 players.
Each player is given a set of Tetris looking pieces (one color per player unless you’re playing with 2 players -in which case you both get 2).
On your turn you can place any piece you’d like anywhere on the board as long as the piece follows two rules. 1. Your piece must share a corner with another piece of the same color. 2. Your piece cannot share a side with the same color piece.
The game gets exciting when you are able to stop another player from progressing in a direction (or you are stopped from progressing).
|Number of Players||2-4|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★☆☆☆☆|
There is a 3d version of this game, but I have not been able to get my hands on it. I’ve read good reviews, but it’s difficult to find.
First, explain that player with the fewest blocks (not pieces) at the end of the game wins.
Because this game is tactile, it’s best to teach by telling and showing at the same time.
Show everyone that your first move must be in your corner. Next explain and show that your pieces must touch corners, but not sides, with the same color. Finally, show how your pieces can touch sides with other colors.
Link to Video Tutorial.
Link to Blokus Game on Amazon.