Check out this game if: you’re looking for a little more complicated game for kids who like multi player strategic games -like Risk but quicker and more fun.
This game stands out because: each player gets to choose a special character with unique advantages -and you can change your character a few times. There is direct conflict in this game, but it moves quick enough that it doesn’t typically cause fights.
1. This game scales up to 5 players well -game comes with multiple boards to accommodate the number of players.
2. The basic rules of the game are simple.
3. The variety of characters adds a lot of diversity to each game.
4. The randomness with which characters are available each game gives it a lot of replayability.
5. The ability to change characters makes the game forgiving.
1. Explaining the characters can be daunting and confusing at first.
2. Some players will not like the direct conflict.
The goal of this game is to get money/points. You get money at the end of your turn for controlling sections of the board. A player takes control of a section on the board by having enough character tokens to place in the section -some geographical sections of the board take more tokens than others. Additionally, if you want to take control of a section that already has another player’s token, you must have more tokens than them to take it over.
Where this game shines is the special powers each character has. Some characters get extra points for controlling geographical areas and others are better at taking over already controlled sections.
|Number of Players||2-5|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★★★☆|
There is deluxe version of this game, but it is not better (just bigger). There are also many expansions -most just add more characters.
First tell players the goal -getting point/money, and how to get more money -controlling sections of the board. Next, explain how players choose characters and how they can change their character.
Most important, you do not need to explain every character combination before the game. Explain the characters that are available and when a new one becomes available, explain it to everyone.
Link to Video Tutorial.
Link to Small World on Amazon.