Check out this game if: you are looking for a light hearted/interactive racing game that feels rewarding to win, but not particularly bad if you don’t.
This game stands out because it’s very friendly/forgiving, you can bet on any camel and even make multiple bets. This game is also great because the dice rolling mechanic makes the camel color and space movement a mystery. You can’t decide what camel to move on your turn, it’s all random, which causes a lot of “ah ha” moments
1. Turns are quick and the payoffs are frequent -good at keeping everyone’s attention.
2. Multiple options on your turn gives a feeling of involvement.
3. No one is eliminated from the game.
4. There is no direct conflict with other players.
5. The end of the race is almost always close and exciting.
6. Plays up to 8 players -although 6 seems to be the sweet spot.
1. The concept may be difficult for some kids, but it’s easy once they start playing.
2. The players before you can take the action you wanted -not really contentious, but I could see some kids having a problem with this.
3. I can see some families having an issue with the betting concept in the game.
Every player is trying to get the most money by placing bets on which camel will win the heat and the whole race. To place a bet, you use your turn to pick up a betting tile of the camel color you think will win. Alternately, you can decide to move one of the camels on your turn or you can place an obstacle on the race track.
Once every camel has moved, the results of the heat are settled and the race continues. After a few heats, the first camel to cross the finish line wins the race and those results are settled. Typically we wait to see who has the most money after a few races, but you can play as long or short as you’d like.
|Number of Players||2-8|
|Inclusive (no elimination)||★★★★★|
There is one version of this game and one expansion.
Be sure to explain the goal of the game is to have the most money at the end. Then show how the camels stack and move -betting is the goal, but showing how the race works seems to get everyone’s attention faster/better.
Link to Video Tutorial.
Link to Camel Up on Amazon.